Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Training, Week 2 - Preparations


Week 2 is down, and I'm already in the midst of the excitement of week 3. And while the weight of the world seems to be resting on my every lesson plan, the image that keeps coming to mind is a scene from The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I believe Pippin is talking with Gandalf as they look over the Pelennor Fields. I can't remember the exact line, but Pippin basically says that it's almost harder being on the edge of an inevitable battle than being in the midst of it. This is about how I feel.

I have never really been one who cared a lot for the necessary steps of preparation. Whenever I'd buy a new game, I'd want to start playing it immediately with no regard for reading the instructions. Same situation with things that require assembly or time to put in order. Maybe this is just part of being a guy, but I'd much rather head straight into the battle to see what I'm up against than to have to spend excessive amounts of time dealing with the "theory" of the battle, prior to engaging in it. But it seems I have much to learn from this time of being patient, being molded, and finally (hopefully) being transformed into a real, honest-to-goodness overseas business teacher.

I am thankful that, at this place, there is much encouragement and plenty of affirmation among all the critiques. They do not bloat our egos, but they do not crush our souls either - a fine balance, indeed. And I am thankful to see that, even though my teammate and I are very different people, it seems we actually do work pretty well together. I'm sure we'll face many hardships once we're abroad, but it's great to see true community here, and I hope I will remember it in the hard times ahead.

Thanks to all of you who have been sending me some really, truly wonderful notes of encouragement, in addition to keeping me up to date of what all is happening in your lives. I will do my best to respond to each of you personally as time is available.

But for now, I am still finding out just how important sleep is. Don't worry, Mom, I'm not sick - but I would greatly appreciate any of you who might offer prayers for continued health. Some days I feel a good bit sluggish, and it becomes hard to give 100% to all the tasks of the day. But the crazy thing is - I actually WANT to give 100% to them all - how often does that happen?!?!?! Okay, well, maybe a few exercises I'm not too thrilled about, but you get the picture.

Love you all. Get some rest for me, too :)

3 comments:

Trey said...

"True community"...what a cool thing. I bet it is pretty exciting to have a group of folks who are truly focused on a single vision and give their all to the end. I mean, that is as it should be, but it sure does point out the general shortcomings of the church.

And, I can't wait to see what you do when you run out of applicable clip art to put at the top of your posts. ;)

Jen said...

Wow...sounds like crazy schedule.

Allison said...

It sounds like you are learning so much! Do get some sleep if you can. Yeah, easier said than done, huh?