Friday, August 3, 2007

Teaching...Knowing really is only HALF the battle


Today I had my first trial run as a business teacher. My instructor encouraged me by telling me in confidence that he wished he had 20 of me to send to China. However, that kindness aside, the other comments from him and the rest of my reviewers were overwhelmingly that my teaching style is best suited to American students, not Chinese ones. I am realizing that I’m going to have to be retrained in my presentation skills. And, while I know that over time these things will gradually be worked out in me, I figured I would post some prayer requests on here that you might consider offering for me in the meantime. I would truly love if God’s heart was moved to see my instincts supernaturally changed. Here are the areas where it seems I need the most change/prayer:

Use shorter sentences
Use smaller, less complex words
Use more relevant examples from Chinese culture
Wait for more responses from students, despite their silence
Incorporate less complex logic into conveying ideas
Learn to use the chalkboard as often as possible

I realize that there may be many good things for the Lord to show me through this transformation process. So, I will certainly be patient as my instincts are changed. But, as quickly as I can progress through this process and not miss the critical lessons He has in store for me, I would ask Him to bless me with an expedited path to proficiency as a Chinese teacher. I hope, if you remember me before Him, you might ask for similar things, or feel free to offer your own insights.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

You got me through AP Chem. You'll be fine.

Trey said...

What an interesting challenge: to completely reinvent one's speech patterns. And it's not a simple challenge either. I mean, it's such a reflexive part of someone's conversational style.

Haha...looking back at my last paragraph, I wouldn't be very good at talking to Chinese students either. ;)