Sunday, November 25, 2007

Favorite Quotes 2

Back for Round 2 of my Favorite Quotes! I'll offer some explanations on some of these to help you understand the context. I think it will add a bit. Nonetheless, a good mix of funny and sappy quotes again :)

-----

If A is 1, B is 2, C is 3...Z is 26, then L+O+V+E = 54 and F+R+I+E+N+D+S+H+I+P = 108. Friendship is twice as strong as love. Thanks for your friendship!
-Thanksgiving wishes from a student

I open my wallet, find no money. I open my pocket, find no coin. I open my life, find you, then I know how rich I am. Forever my friend. Thank you!
-More Thanksgiving wishes (and no, my students aren't so clever as to come up with all these things...they are basically text message forwards, but they are nice, nonetheless)

In this world we are always losing something. When we lose these things we feel very sad. But we had better not lose these two things - the last bus going home and the woman you love deepest.
-A note from a girl student. Ha! If you asked her, though, she would have no idea of the possible implications of such a message.

What's wrong with you?
-A student said this to me to basically ask what had happened to me on a bad day. What he meant to convey was simply, "What's wrong?" But what was implied was, "Hey Crazy, are you mentally ill?" Ha. A simple misuse of a basic phrase, but it was funny.

Mr. Ross, it will be much cold tomorrow, so wear more cloths:-)
-From a boy student. God love 'em. I have more mothers in China than I ever dreamed possible in America. Even the boys tell me to watch out for "weather." That one's just for you , Mom.

Once there was a hero, his sword was cold, his heart was cold, and his hands were cold, too. Therefore, he died because he was so cold. That informs you that it is cold now. Wear more clothes!
-From a girl student. Sometimes it's pretty funny.

I'd like you to meet my friend. His English name is Condom.
-Sure enough, the boy's nickname in Chinese translates literally to condom. So he thought it was cool and picked it to be his English name. Yikes!

I was worried that you would feel disappointed with me because I am not really brave enough to pursue a big goal. And I think that it isn't really a rational affection. However, I just be turned into such a traditional girl and cannot get rid of this belief. I appreciate you very much for understanding. You are really generous to respect the idea that is opposite yours.
-A little difficult to read, but a very kind note from a student after we talked about goals in life. This student might like to be an artist of some sort, but it is not a stable career and cannot often pay for family needs. When we discussed the importance of doing work that is important to you, she really wanted to change her mind about her goals in life, but she could not. I told her I really respected her strong affection for her family, and I think doing so made a much bigger difference than trying to convince her otherwise. I think some good things were at work in this conversation, though many of the subtleties are not included here.

I am going to bed now, and I hope in my dream there is also a magical world. Of course, the handsome boy is most important, haha! Good dream!
-Ha. A girl wrote this after watching Spirited Away. Very funny.

Oh, Mr. Ross, my dear friend, I want to thank you! Thank you for giving me a chance to tell you a beautiful story in English! Before that I never thought I can do that, but you...yes, you...let me finish it. I am so happy. I want to tell you that I had a teacher I never forgot because she encouraged me to sing a song in public, and from then on I am not afraid to sing in public and I love singing. I miss her very much. Today you encouraged me to speak English and I tried to do it, and I know it is very bad, but I think I am not afraid to speak English from now on. I will keep working on my English, so I too am also a dangerous man!
-One of the students who now comes to Office Hours. The dangerous man part is in reference to a T.E. Lawrence quote that we shared with them all. Thanks, Jason.

Sincerely thank you. I will never refuse my friend's sincere words. Please trust me that my most value is friendship. We will talk more later.
-A note from a student after a disagreement of ideas. The student told me about some decisions he wanted to make, and I told him that I thought they were not good decisions. He didn't know how to handle the situation, so I told him that it was not my desire to tell him how to live his life - just to try to save him from some bad situations in the future. He really appreciated my sincerity, and I think he will make some wise decisions in the future now. So, I'm happy.

Haha, yesterday is so exciting that I dreamed Bruce Lee taught me how to fly. It sounds fun!
-So, I've started taking Kung Fu lessons, and my teacher (a student) is really excited about getting to teach a foreigner. It's a little scary at times, but it's really funny too.

-----

Okay, I thought I would just save these as a draft and wait for more quotes, but it's a good time for a post, and with my comments this is pretty long. So enjoy!