Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Little Impressed

You know, being in the field of work I'm in, it's not a common thing to get to splurge.  First, it can be wasteful.  Second, I don't make much money anyway, so it's hard to splurge.  Third, in this kind of work, you can't help but feel a little guilty when you spend your money on yourself.  Still, I'm just a person, and yesterday I wanted to splurge a little.  So what did I do?  I bought an Apple iPhone 3G.

My previous phone was beginning to give me troubles - keys not working well, text messages not received, sending text messages in triplicate without my permission...I admit, I got a little frustrated with the phone.  So, far my only complaint with the iPhone is that what people have said about the battery life is true - it don't got muchuvit.  Oi.  But that's not why I'm writing tonight.  I'm writing because I was a little impressed with this overpriced piece of machinery (note:  I say it's overpriced because I bought an international version of the phone, which means it's legally unlocked for all networks, but you pay full price for the phone - no discounts or anything).

So, what did the phone do for me?  It got me back home!  I'm currently staying with a friend in Hong Kong (yea for long holidays for teachers!).  My friend is still working at this time, even though it's so close to Chinese New Year.  So, a decent amount of my time here is spent by myself, just roaming the city.  Not bad, really, but I'm only decently familiar with HK.

Well, tonight I was off wandering the streets of Mong Kok on the Kowloon side, and I decided it was time for me to start heading back home.  Except, I didn't exactly know where I was or how I had gotten there.  Ha.  I'm not the best with directions either.  Many of you can testify to this.  So, what did I do?  I pulled out my new gadget and said, "iPhone, get me home!"  It then responded with a, "Please wait while I find your location...Okay, here you are, and this is where you want to go."  I followed the iPhone's commands, and now I'm safely back home in my friend's home.  Amazing.

Now, I know technology will keep improving, and some day this will look old school.  But today is does not, and today I am a little impressed with my gadget.  Thanks iPhone, for possibly being worth the investment.  Apple, please don't make a new iPhone too soon again and make me feel like all my splurging today has quickly been invalidated and outdated.  Ha.

Happy Chinese New Year, everyone!  It's the year of the bull/ox.  Cow in Mandarin is pronounced "niu."  This sounds a bit like "nyoo."  So the trendy and oh so unfortunate thing to say is "Happy Niu Year."  Oi.