Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tired, But Encouraged



Well, week 2 of teach is now well underway. Here are some things I've learned:

1) Teaching is TIRING
2) Lesson planning in TIRING
3) Coffee is GOOD :D
4) Watching students' eyes open brightly with understanding is REWARDING
5) It really pays off to be a CREATIVE teacher (thanks, Mom, for all your good ideas and inspiration)
6) All work and no play really is a BAD IDEA
7) Prayer is PIVOTAL to every aspect of our lives
8) It is not fun having a cough that will not GO AWAY
9) No matter how slowly you speak, some things just do not translate across CULTURES
10) YELLING is not a good motivator, but honest, sober DISCIPLINE accomplishes a lot

Class A, also known as "Full House" (after a Korean show, not poker or the American show), has been a great class for me. I have posted some pictures on my picture site if you'd like to see them. They are very animated, friendly, and they also seem to be very intelligent. I'm almost a little sad that at the end of this week, I will go to teach Class B, aka "Fantastic 24." But I'm excited about their class, too, as Rick (my teammate) tells me that they are a good and well behaved bunch.

Teaching is an interesting sort of occupation. It really does require you to pour yourself quite a bit in order to be effective and capable of gaining trust, respect, and favor in your students' eyes. But making that effort really seems worth it. It is a pretty great feeling to share a complex concept with the students and see them be able to grasp it and then perfectly complete an exercise that utilizes the skills just taught. I just hope they retain this stuff as well as they learn it initially!

But, all the many great things aside, I am still very tired. There is still so much preparation involved in each day's activities. I think this will get easier as I go, but I know that this entire first semester will just be tough. And I have had a nagging cough through it all. I don't know why it isn't going away either. Very annoying, for sure.

Anyway, I have passed on my afternoon nap today (they are almost a requirement for sanity) to write this because I realize I haven't given many updates lately. So, even though it isn't the best of my writings or stories, I hope you'll know it means a lot for this to be here. And perhaps when there is another block of free time, I can write about some of the fun things I've done here!

Everybody take care of themselves, let me know how you're doing, and continue praying diligently for all things and all the saints!